TOTAL PRODUCTIVITY GROWTH IN THE FACULTIES OF ANBAR UNIVERSITY USING MALMQUIST PRODUCTIVITY INDEX
The aims of this study is to evaluate the productivity growth of nineteen Faculties of Anbar University (FAUs) in Iraq. The FAUs performance is determined on the change in total factor productivity (TFA) and technical efficiency. We used the output orientated DEA-Malmquist index in estimating the productivity growth from panel data of 19 of FAUs in two periods of time 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 academic years, the model calculated using two educational outputs and two inputs. The results showed that (14) FAUs or or 73.6% are efficient. In terms of total factor productivity, FAUs obtained an index score of 0.879, which means that (7) FAUs or 36.8% remarkable productivity growth. The technological index shows that (2) FAUS or 10.5% only shows a technological progress.
Keywords: Total Productivity Growth, Malmquist Productivity Index, Technological index
- Agasisti T., Dal Bianco A., Landoni P., Sala A., Salerno M., (2011 ) Evaluating the Efficiency of Research in Academic Departments: an Empirical Analysis in an Italian Region , Journal of Higher Education Quarterly 65 (3): 267–289,
- Al- Delaimi, Khalid Shahooth Khalaf and Al-Ani, Ahmed Hussein Battall. 2006. “Using Data Envelopment Analysis to Measure Cost Efficiency with an Application on Islamic Banks” Scientific Journal of Administrative Development, Vol: 4. pp. 134-156.
- Banker, R.D., Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W. (1984). Some models for the estimation of technical and scale inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis. Management Science, 30, 1078–1092.
- Brennan, J., Teichler U., (2008), The future of higher education and of higher education Research, Higher Education, 56 :259–264.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., Rhodes, E. (1978). Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. European Journal of Operational Research, 2, 429–444.
- Cooke W, and Zhu J. (2005) Modeling Performance Measurement : Applications and Implementation Issues in DEA , Springer, New York,
- Fare R, Grosskopf S, Logan J (1985). The relative performance of publicly-owned and privately-owned electric utilities. Journal of Public Economics, (26): 89–106
- Fare R, Grosskopf S, Norris M, Zhang Z (1994). Productivity growth, technical progress, and efficiency change in industrialized countries. American Economic Review, (84): 66–83
- Hu Yongmei, Liang Wenyan (2008)Malmquist index analysis of the dynamic changes in scientific research productivity of some Chinese universities before and after merger , Front. Educ China 2008, 3(3): 429–447
- M. Rayeni, G. Vardanyan and F.H. Saljooghi, 2010. The Measurement of Productivity Growth in the Academic Departments using Malmquist Productivity Index. Journal of Applied Sciences, 10: 2875-2880.
- Malmquist, S. (1953),“Index Numbers and Indifference Surfaces,” Trabajos de Estadistica 4, 209-42.
- Mohammadi, A. & Ranaei, H. (2011). The Application of DEA based Malmquist Productivity Index in Organizational Performance Analysis. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 62 (6): 68-76.
- Castano , Mary Carolin and Emilyn Cabanda, (2007) Sources Of Efficiency And Productivity Growth In The Philippine State Universities And Colleges: A Non-Parametric Approach , international Business & Economics Research 6 ( 6) :79-90
- Prichard, R.D. (1990). Measuring and Improving Organizational Productivity. Praeger Publishers. New York
- Rahimian M and Soltanifar M. (2013) An application of DEA based Malmquist productivity index in university performance analysis , Management Science Letters 3 : 337–344
- Youn, J. W., & Park, K. (2009). University development models and efficiency analysis. Journal of Service Science, 1, 9-30.
Copyright (c) 2013 International Journal of Global Education (IJGE) ISSN: 2146-9296
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.